The railway through Rhoose
The photographs in this gallery are of The Vale of Glamorgan Railway through Rhoose. We usually have some idea of dates from comparisons with known features such as build dates of certain building or structures.
Work started on the The Vale of Glamorgan Railway in 1897 and it opened in 1898. The viaduct at Porthkerry collapsed soon after opening and a temporary loop was constructed around Porthkerry while it was repaired. From 1919 the railway provided transport for the export of cement products from Rhoose and East Aberthaw. It has also been used to route coal into Aberthaw power station from the early 1960s.
Passenger services were resumed in 2005 with a new station being built.